Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Preparing for Christmas

A friend of mine stared a group on Facebook; What if the Church Read the Word. She challenged us to read through John and Luke in November and December, respectively. I took her up on the challenge.

...

I haven't read a word of John so far.

Today, I looked and found that John is 21 chapters long and there are 20 days left in November (Luke has 24 chapters :-) ). To keep myself accountable I've decided to announce here that I'll read a chapter a day and double up somewhere along the way.

Join me, let's read John, a chapter a day. Post any comments or thoughts you have here or at the Facebook group. Invite a friend to read with you!

I wonder, what would happen if we, the Church, read His word?

Read'n chapter 1,
k8t
k8t(at)faceofagirl(dot)com
----
Please include the following statement on any distributed or linked copy: By Kaet Johnson. © faceofagirl.com. Website: faceofagirl.com

5 comments:

NanaDega said...

I am with you on this

b

Anonymous said...

I'm on board...but a realist I'll try to get through John before Christmas.

I've been meaning to hit up my Bible anyway, this gives me a goal.

k8t said...

Great! Lovin your company. k8t

Anonymous said...

it may add time to your reading, but I'd recommend using William Barclay's commentary on John. Our bible study uses Barclay for a lot of our studies.

For what it is worth, John is my favorite. "Do not let your hearts be troubled...I am the way the truth and the life" Chapter 14 and 15 are my favorite right now. Although that changes every time I read it.

John is like an onion. Everytime you pull back a layer of meaning, there is another waiting to be discovered and treasured

k8t said...

Jen- go for it. John is an easy read, but as Tim said, also like an onion.

Tim- I don't often use commentaries, only when I'm really stuck. I like to mark up the scripture "real good" to help me see what God is saying.

I might post what I did to John 1, can't promise I'll dig so deep in each chapter. The marking helped me see how much interaction went on between the first disciples and Jesus. Who knew?

I also hope to post each chapter for those who can't get to a Bible everyday, but get my emails or visit the site.

Very cool to know I have all this company! k8t