Thursday, April 02, 2009

Life Changing Pea Soup

Not really, this post is just an excuse to encourage you to read a friend's blog. She's got a good bit to say and, believe it or not, it was pea soup in God's hand that inspired her post. We never know what He will use to open our heart's to Him.

Enjoy this recipe, but more importantly, enjoy her post!

Start with:
1 bag of split peas

*Quick Recipe
Canned Ham (16 oz), cut up, 1/2 inch pieces (I often use Dutch Colony Cooked Ham)
6-8 cups Chicken Broth
1 Bay leaf
3- 5 stalks Celery diced, 1/4 inch
Carrots cut to 1/2 inch: 3 full carrots or equivalent amount of baby carrots chopped
1 med Onion, chopped
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 Spice (Allspice will work)
4 chicken bouillon cubes or 4 tsp of chicken stock base
Salt and Pepper (white) to taste

Place place all ingredients in a stock pot, bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer until split peas have turned to mush. Stir periodically. Salt and pepper to taste. White pepper works best. Should be done in about 2 hours (?).

*Not Quite As Fast Version
Ham bone with ham on bone or saved ham pieces, cut, 1/2 inch
(if no ham, use some canned ham-cut up, 1/2 inch pieces)
6-8 cups Chicken Broth
1 Bay leaf
3- 5 stalks Celery diced, 1/4 inch
Carrots cut to 1/2 inch: 3 full carrots or equivalent amount of baby carrots chopped
1 med Onion, chopped
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 Spice (Allspice will work)
4 chicken bouillon cubes or 4 tsp of chicken stock base
Salt and Pepper (white) to taste

Some people will cook ham bone in water to make stock, you can do this, but I don't. If you do, boil bone in 8 cups water until done, remove bone, pick meat off bone and cut to size, cut any meat that fell off bone, during boiling, to size. Then place the rest of the ingredients in a stock pot, bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer until split peas have turned to mush. Stir periodically. Salt and pepper to taste. White pepper works best.

When I have a ham bone, I place the bone and all the ingredients (except bouillon) in the water, and bring to boil, them simmer. When bone is done, I remove it, make sure the ham is right size, add more ham from can, if needed, and add bouillon and simmer until done. Stir periodically. Salt and pepper to taste. White pepper works best.
----

I think pondering about God changing my "taste" is a pretty scary thing; I like my preconceived notions, they fit me well... maybe too well, maybe they fit my flesh perfectly, ouch....

I hated pea soup as a kid, now I really like it. I discovered I liked pea soup when a new way to make pea soup found me-- pea soup made new.

I guess we need intimate settings where we can't escape, where we are forced to confront ourselves.


Wondering what other "taste" of mine, He might change, what else will be made new, AND thanking Mandi for helping me think this way,
k8t
P.S. If you don't understand that last bit, read this!
k8t(at)faceofagirl(dot)com
----
Please include the following statement on any distributed or linked copy: By Kaet Johnson. © faceofagirl.com. Website: faceofagirl.com

No comments: